Friday, March 29, 2013

Favorite Date (so far)

This man did some things right. Actually, a lot of things. I shall number them out.

Thursday night, I was home alone doing homework when there was a knock at the door. When I opened the door, there he was, standing in all his handsome glory--the boy from across the street. I invited him in and we proceeded to chat, he said he had just come by to say hello. (I didn't mind.) We had been talking about school for a few minutes when he noticed my bird painting sitting on the bookshelf and made a comment about it. Then he asked if I would like to go on a date with him the following night. I said I'd love to, we said goodbye, and he left.

What he did right:
1. He asked me in person.

The next day, in the morning, he sent me a text to ask if I was allergic to any kind of ice cream. I told him I wasn't. (Thank goodness I'm not!)

2. I was impressed that he checked to see if what he was planning for the date would be okay.

He informed me of what time our date would be.

3. It's nice to know the time of the date in advance.

4. He picked me up on time. (I'm really glad he remembered that he had asked me out. For a horror story of being stood up, see the post, A Lady Likes a Reliable Man).

5. He opened the car door for me.

We drove to the university's museum of art and had a wonderful time looking at and talking about the art. Our conversation was interesting and he was pleasant to be around. After going to the museum we drove back to his apartment and did our own watercolor paintings. Each of us drew our dream house. Mine was a treehouse (I'll have to attach a picture for you, it's really quite charming, haha).


6. Either he did his research, or he got lucky with his choice of activity. I'm interested in art and enjoy painting, so the activity was one where I would be comfortable and have fun.

While we were waiting for our paintings to dry we indulged in some delicious s'mores ice cream.

7. It was a good choice because it didn't have a lot of chocolate in it. (I don't like chocolate--it's surprising, I know. And, yes, I am a girl. For some reason people always ask me that when I tell them I don't lie chocolate, it's strange). Guys, if you aren't going to ask the girl what kind of ice cream she likes, at least pick something generally "safe"--probably something not too chocolaty, and peanut/nut-free are good choices. When it comes to chocolate, you either love it or you hate it, and lots of people have peanut/nut allergies. If you're making them dinner, you should also ask if they have allergies to certain foods.

**Example: Once I went on a group date where we had a barbecue. My friend Kimball's date couldn't eat gluten and I was impressed when I found out that he had made special arrangements for making and serving food that she could eat.

... back to my date.
After eating ice cream, he played guitar and we sang together.

8. this is a repeat of #6. He did his research (or made a lucky guess). I love music and I love to sing, so this activity was appropriate for my interests. Also, what girl doesn't want to be serenaded by a man with some smooth vocal and guitar skills?

At the end of the date he walked me across the street, right up to my front door. (None of that "I'll drop you at the curb, say: 'see ya!' and leave" stuff for him. He was gentleman).

And there you have it. My favorite date, thus far.


When it comes down to it, the most important thing is to be creative. Dates don't have to be expensive to be fun. :)


-Lady L.

No comments:

Post a Comment