Saturday, August 10, 2013

To Date or Not to Date, THAT is the Question


As some of you may know, There has been a recent surge of girls who are preparing to serve  missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Yes. That's where all the "all the girls are gone" and "all the girls are leaving" jokes come from. They are funny because they are true.

Anyway, I was browsing Facebook and came across a page for sister missionaries. One of the first things I saw was a post from a girl who said the following:

"Hey ladies, Is dating before the mission okay? It seems right but at the same time it feels wrong."

I was surprised to see how many girls said to not date. There were only a few that said dating before the mission was okay.

So I guess I can commiserate with the fellas. The LDS dating world is not only getting smaller because droves of girls are on missions now, they're short on girls to date because these I-have-my-call and haven't-left-yet ladies think it's wrong to date before their missions. This is absurd.

About a month ago my bishop gave a lesson in our Relief Society meeting. I distinctly remember him saying that "nothing has changed until it's changed," this means that until you're actually set apart as a missionary, it's okay to date!

So guys, ask girls on dates! :) Girls with mission calls, go on dates!

...unless you don't want to, that's fine, that just makes it easier for girls like my friend Lucy. She said "all these girls going on missions is great--I've been asked out on a lot more dates recently (after the mission age for girls changed!)" Even if the shortage of date-able women is doing good things for Lucy, you should still take my advice. Go on dates. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment