Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Christmas in July: First Kiss Story



Okay, okay, it's not July, but I wrote this post in July. Hence: "Christmas in July" The title just wouldn't sound right if I called it "Christmas in August."

It's been 8 months since this blog began and by now you've heard a few of my dating stories--worst date, best date, etc. But what you haven't heard yet is my first kiss story. I think I'll share, it's a classic.

High school dating is awkward, let's just set that straight from the get-go. It's awkward, and silly, and no one really knows what they're doing. Gerry and I were no exception.

I liked him. He liked me. And for three months, neither of us did anything about it.

On the night of the annual winter music concert I arrived early. I reported to the choir room where the other students were congregated, chattering loudly. I found my place and sat down. While I was waiting, I saw him sneak into the room--he wasn't supposed to be there, and the teacher quickly shooed him out. Before he left, he gave me a wink and a smile.

I performed with my choir, he performed with his group, and then we sat at the back of the auditorium and whispered through the remaining musical numbers. The finale of the night was a  choral and instrumental ensemble performing the "Hallelujah Chorus." Gerry would be contributing with his musical talent on the piano.

I entered the stage and filed onto the riser. The pre-music silence was tangible. I looked over to where Gerry was.

He looked at me.



No, this isn't him. BUT, I did see him from this angle--through the open grand piano.

We sang our Hallelujahs and he played the black and white. We ended gloriously. There was applause. He looked up at me and winked. The choir's Hallelujahs were silenced, but they were just starting up again inside my head.

After the concert I gave him a ride home. It was snowing. Before he got out of the car he hesitated, leaned in and quickly pulled away.

"Goodnight! Thanks for the ride." he said. Then he was gone.

Ah. Well, we flirted some more. and a week later I invited him on a double date.

It was three days before Christmas. My sister's boyfriend drove us to Zupas. Following our dinner we went on a photo scavenger hunt in the local mall.

... it was a marathon date.
After the scavenger hunt we went to my house to make delicious __________ cookies (I don't remember which kind, so we'll make it an interactive post and YOU can choose which kind of cookies we made).

There was much giggling, probably some smearing of flour on faces, and most likely a lot of blushing (on my part).

I gave him his Christmas present. A man-let (a bracelet for a man) and some Burt's Bees lip balm in a bag filled with Hershey's chocolate kisses. (Don't judge, I thought it was a good gift ...at the time. haha)

After we'd had our fill of hot-out-of-the-oven ________ cookies, I drove him home.

It was snowing. It really was a lovely evening.

I pulled into his driveway, he thanked me for a fun night, and got out of the car. I was backing out of the driveway when I noticed him walking back to my car.  I braked, he tapped on the window, I rolled it down.

"Would you like a kiss for Christmas?" he asked.

I smiled.

He leaned in and kissed me.

We said goodnight and I drove home. The falling snow glowed in my headlights and I felt like I was weightless, traveling at the speed of light through a still and starry space.


*pardon the extra cheese at the end of this story. I just couldn't resist.

1 comment: