Sunday, April 14, 2013

20 Seconds



You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it. --Benjamin Mee, We Bought a Zoo

I'm crazy. Let's just put that out there.

So when you sit in the same area of the library every day, you get to know people's faces pretty well. Well, there was one face that interested me, caught my attention. He worked in the library, shelving books and I saw him about twice a week. I couldn't think of any logical way to introduce myself casually, so mustered up some courage and wrote a note. It went like this:

To the cute shelving-cart guy:

Since I only ever see you in the library, and we can't really talk, I thought I'd write you a note and invite you to be my friend. If  you'd like to accept this offer, then we should hang out sometime.

I signed my name and wrote my number just below it.

Yeah. I know. Just remember what I told you at the beginning of this post: I'm crazy.


So, with the note written and folded in half, I packed up my stuff and waited for the opportune moment. 
Luckily, I made the best of the opportune moment. (Thank you Jack Sparrow).

He walked past where I was studying. I picked up my things and headed toward him. 

I handed him the note, said: "this is for you," and left.

I thought I was going to die.

I don't do things like that. EVER.
BUT I did. 

I walked home, shaking like a leaf, but feeling preeeetty good about myself. 

Two hours later he texted me. Here's how it went:

"Hi Lady, This is Scott, the book-shelving guy. I actually have a girlfriend, but I'm flattered, and I think it's great that you had the guts to make a move like that. Sorry to disappoint!"

And you know what? I was fine with it. I had done something crazy and gutsy, and I was pretty dang proud of myself. 

So, try it out. It only takes 20 seconds of insane courage. Who knows, circumstances could be different for you. You'll never know unless you try.


--Lady L.





*names have been changed, like always.

No comments:

Post a Comment