Tuesday, June 9, 2015

How to Lose a Girl in One Date

You may be familiar with the movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" starring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. If you're not familiar with this movie, you should be. It's funny. (Although I may regret recommending this movie because I haven't watched it for over 2 years.) Anyway, to make a long story short, a girl thinks she can lose a guy in 10 days, the guy thinks he can make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days. They just happen to be thrown together, and ...the results? A really funny movie.


While it took Kate Hudson ten strenuous days to lose a guy, a young man I dated quickly lost me after one date.

We were introduced in the produce section of a grocery store. He greeted me with a hug. Charm was almost literally dripping from his sleeve. He was handsome. Smart. Witty. Easy to talk to.

A week later we went on our first date.

A week after that we had a second.

Each date just got better.

I don't know that I've ever met someone that I hit it off with so quickly. I laughed more on those two dates with him than I did on my last 20 dates combined. He expressed his interest openly, I expressed mine. I was completely comfortable and felt like I could really be myself around him. It was a modern-day dating miracle. I had found Prince Charming.

Or so I thought.

The third date happened a week later--I asked him to go to a soccer game. Things had been going well, so I stepped into the waters of vulnerability. (Maybe this was a mistake?)

It felt like a first date with a stranger. The familiarity of the previous dates was gone. He didn't flirt. He had his phone out--snapchat. He asked me to meet up with him at a rendezvous spot before getting to the game, nullifying his previous statement about how a guy should always drive/pick up the girl. At the end of the date he dropped me off at my car and I got a seat-belted side-hug while still sitting in the car.

Utterly baffled, I drove myself home.

What had changed?

I mean, on our second date he pretty much said he felt like it was love at first sight. A little cliche, but surprisingly attractive of him to say. (I'm usually not the overly-sappy, mushy-gushy type.) The next day our mutual friend (the one who introduced us) informed me that Sir Prince Charming was now seriously dating another girl. The cold-shoulder treatment and 180-turn around was explained. ONE DAY after our last date he was holding hands with another girl in church. In my 'umble opinion, if he was seriously dating (or even on the verge of seriously dating) another girl he shouldn't have accepted a date with me.


I'll admit, I was hurt. He is a good person, but I don't think the last date was necessarily his brightest moment.

Moral of the  story is:

"When you've decided you don't like a girl, then it's okay to stop being a gentleman." said no lady ever.

Be honest. Be considerate. Be yourself (it'll come through eventually).








No comments:

Post a Comment