Sunday, July 7, 2013

Take Tarts as Tarts is Passing





My parents own a children's picture book called Take Tarts as Tarts is Passing. (and no, I wrote it correctly. It's "is" not "are," for some silly reason.)


Two brothers set out to make their fortune in the world, each follows an old woman's advice differently. It's a book about taking opportunities when they come to you. For some reason this book reminds me of when I met Aaron. I guess you could say I was a tart--and he took me as I passed.


Ironically, we literally met in passing.

I was taking classes last summer and I was on campus three days per week. Somehow, Aaron was always coming when I was going, and going when I was coming. As a result we saw each other A LOT.

At first we just smiled and kept walking, but after a week or so, he said something like "I see you all the time! I'm Aaron." I replied with something profound like: "I know! I'm Lady L."

Two days later I was headed to campus and he was headed home. He stopped me to talk.
"Lady L, right?"
"Yep!"
"How are you?"

Small talk ensued. (As much as we hate it, it's necessary. It's the truth.)

"Would you like to go out with me this Thursday?" he said.
"I would love to!"

He got my number and each of us continued on our merry way. The next day he called to finalize plans for our date. He let me know that we would be going ice skating. (Bonus points to him for letting me know the activity in advance.)

Thursday. He picked me up. DANG, he looked good in his stripey/plaid button up.

We went on a wonderful date--we talked about school, family, work, his mission (I know that guys often get a bad rap for talking too much about their missions, but, I enjoyed learning about Sweden!) He held my hand ...only because he had to--for stability's sake. I mean, I almost killed myself by falling on the ice! ;)

We had ice cream at his apartment afterwards, and I ate the chocolate peanut butter ice cream even though it's probably my least favorite ice cream.

*I'll admit, I still don't know what to do about this kind of a situation. I'm not allergic to chocolate, I just don't like it. BUT it was the only treat he was offering me. He had very kindly planned the date, but what was I to do? tell him I didn't want it and sit while he and the other couple (we were doubling) ate their ice cream? No, I couldn't do that. I didn't want to be a snob, so I ate it. how would YOU handle the situation?


The epilogue: We hung out a couple more times... He borrowed my brother's dutch ovens and hosted a ward Pioneer Day function... yada yada yada. Bottom line: He never asked me out again and now he's happily married.

It has begun, the guys I've dated are all getting married. Woo. Bring on the wedding season..

Yeah, Mom, I know. I suppose it's a good thing--since people are supposed to get married and all.




So I guess what I'm trying to say is take the opportunities when you see them. DON'T be a chicken. Under other circumstances, if Aaron and I had "clicked," that would have been an awesome story. So... who knows you might as well take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment