Monday, May 20, 2013

Appreciate the Good Things: A Gallon of Milk

I must be on a food kick. Jam, now milk? Maybe I'm just hungry.


Last spring/summer I moved into a new ward. I didn't fully appreciate it then, but I am really lucky--the guys in my ward are great. One Sunday evening after gathering together for a ward activity, I struck up a conversation with a young man I hadn't met yet. A few minutes of chatting turned into an hour and a half of conversation, he asked me out for a breakfast date later that week. While wrapping up our conversation I mentioned that I would be waking up early the next morning in order to buy some milk to go with my breakfast cereal.

The next morning he knocked on my door. I opened it to find him standing on my doorstep with a gallon of milk.

*side note to guys: do this.

*side note to girls: if a guy does this for you, kiss him--or at least invite him in for a bowl of cereal (that's what I did).

One morning, later that week, we went on our first date--raspberry & cream crepes and delightful conversation.

A week or so later he asked me to go on a walk.

Next he asked me to go to dinner.

Sounds good, right? That's because it was good. I'm sorry to say I didn't recognize it.

The day of the dinner date came around and I cancelled due to some unfortunately-timed family events. I made sure to let him know I was sorry about cancelling, and I mentioned that I'd like to re-schedule, but he never asked me out again.


Moral of the story:
1. In relationships and dating (actually, this applies to  life in general), learn to recognize the good things so you can enjoy them!
2. Show appreciation when someone does something nice for you.
3. When cancelling a date (if you ever have to), give your date more than 3 hours notice. ...take it from someone who knows. Be considerate.


Also, don't dwell too much on the things you did wrong. Learn from them and just keep swimming.



-LadyLike

No comments:

Post a Comment